Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Stephanie "NieNie" Nielson and Family

On Sunday I learned of a remarkable story and remarkable family. i wrote a post about them on my Brainy and Beautiful blog. I was thinking today that I should post it again here to further spread the word in the hope that others will pray for them and pass on their story to others and so and so forth. So, here it is:

Be Grateful

Be Grateful. This is the gentle reminder I received this morning when I went to A Cup of Jo and read this New York Times story. Then I went to Nie's blog, NieNie Dialogues, and fell in love with Nie. Nie, 27 years old like me, and her husband, Christian, who have 4 beautiful children ages 1-6, were in a plane accident on August 16, 2008 and are recovering from severe burns. Their amazing family, including CJane, are caring for Nie and Christian's children and organizing fundraising efforts, alongside all of Nie's blog friends, to benefit the children and keep Nie and Christian's life going while they recover.

Nie's family:



On her childrens' birthdays, Nie has them write wishes, attach them to balloons, and let them go into the universe. Across the globe, people have done the same for Nie and her family in their time of need.



I wrote a letter to CJane and a separate letter to Nie and a separate letter to Christian. In CJane's I enclosed a lucky penny for each of the children. Nie and Christian each get one, too. As Nie always illustrates through her blog, it is the little things, the simple things in life that really matter.

So, in honor of Nie, today I ask you to be grateful for all that life has given you and for the little things. I think Nie would be proud.

Things I am Grateful For Today <3
my husband
my health
the warm kitty purring next to me
my home
fresh picked Maine blueberries still warm from the sun
my family
my friends
soft sheets
my faith
lessons
second chances...and third...and forth
the five year old still boldly alive inside me
dark chocolate
vegan cupcakes
sunshine
cotton clothing
rocking chairs
libraries
literacy
lemonade
love
alliteration
the icecream man
snailmail
music
swings
the swish of a basketball through the net
birds chirping
the perfect pair of jeans
smiling
the smell of tomato sauce simmering on the stove
the flowers I clipped from the rose of sharon in the backyard
connections
and oh so much more

Oh, and, after counting the things you are grateful for today, if you could send just a dash of that positivity into the universe aimed at Nie, Christian, their children, their extended family, and their friends both physical and virtual, I would be extra extra grateful. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous list! Thank you for sharing it. I'm going to go start my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. roseaddict,
    I was disappointed to click on your name, get to your blog and find there were not any posts. So, I'll just have to thank you here.

    Thank you for the comment! If you visit my other blog at brainyandbeautiful.blogspot.com you will see that I have been writing a post each night before bed listing the things I am grateful for that day. I hope you do go start your own, because it really can be life changing in terms of your outlook on life.
    Thanks again for the comment!

    ReplyDelete