Monday, December 22, 2008

Safe Toys for the Holidays

or any day!

Last year at this time there were all kinds of concerns about toxic materials in toys imported from China. So, my interest in organic and eco-friendly toys for babies and children increased. I learned that organic and eco-friendly don't have to mean expensive. Here are a few of my favorite places to shop for the kidlets in my life:

the little seed
is run by Soleil Moon Frye (a.k.a Punky Brewster!) and her friend Paige Goldberg Tolmach.
Their goal: "to create a one-stop shop for parents seeking products from skincare to bedding to toys that are made with organic or eco-friendly materials – healthy for babies and healthy for the planet… because it’s never too early to sow the seeds of care and responsibility."
Their blog: Seedling Blog
Their shop: the little seed shop
Links to a few of my favorite items:
Footed Pants - not a toy, but adorable none-the-less
Pocket Jacket - again not a toy, but a practical gift that will be used infinitely
Speesees Booties - slippers are always a good gift. Warm feet are essential.
Fruits and Veggies - I love ALL of these soft toys!
Recycling Truck - they sell all kinds of wooden cars, but this is my fav
Twig Crayons - endless hours of imagining. I grew up playing in the woods so these really bring me back to childhood.

BabyStyle
is a major weekness of mine. So many of their products are irresistible. Plus they carry everything from maternity clothes to furniture to diaper bags to toys. One stop shopping! They also have a Gifts page that is incredibly well organized, categorized, and easy to navigate. On a really tight budget? Visit their Outlet Store!
Their Safety Standards: Safety First
Links to some of my fav. items:
Delilah the Bunny - my mom always called me bunny. If I really was one, I think I'd like to be just like Delilah or at least be her friend.
Eco Babies Wear Green book - books are always wonderful gifts! More books by M.S. Colman here.
BabyStyle Xylophone - music to everyones ears and a toy for people of every age
Building Block Choo Choo - made of Ecofriendly rubber wood and grows with the child. Not-yet-walking little ones can enjoy the blocks and when they begin toddling around they can drag it around the house with them.
Doggie Backpack - for the kid on the go

Under The Nile
is another favorite of mine. Everything is made with 100% organic cotton. Every item is pure and Fair Trade. They even began the 13 Villages Project. They also carry items for preemies and adults!
About Under the Nile: "...working harmoniously as one"
About the Owner: Janice Masoud
Links to my favorite items:
Fruit Tote - portable yum yum
Ear Flap Hat - give the gift of soft warmth
Sleeping/Teething Doll - everyone needs a lovey
Gnomes - engage the imagination
Crazy Dolls Two-Pack - check two little ones off your list with one purchase or make one little one doubly happy
Veggie Crate - eat your veggies and you'll be big and strong enough to carry them around
Pencil Box - adorable on a child's desk and helps cultivate a love of learning and/or expressing through writing and art

That is enough for now. If you know of any other places to shop for organic, eco-friendly items for children, please share your favorites with me in the comments section :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment