Sunday, February 10, 2008

Notable Nanny

I have always loved children for as long as I can remember.

When I was three years old my parents bought me a sturdy plastic kid-sized shopping cart that I insisted on bringing to the grocery store and pushing my baby doll in.

When I was eleven years old, my mother had to go back to work and I began caring for my four year old brother when I got home from school in the afternoons. My grandmother was just a stairwell away, but I was the one playing with him, reading to him, making him a snack. When he started school I would meet his bus at the bus stop and help with homework.

When I was 13, our neighbors had a baby and I sat for them many a Saturday night until they moved away when he was 7. We still keep in touch and they came to my wedding.

When I began high school, I started teaching CCD to second, third, and fourth graders. I also worked at the public library where I frequently helped out in the Children's Room.

When I went to college the first time, right out of high school, in 1999, I studied to be an elementary school teacher. I interned for a semester in a first grade classroom as well as babysitting for a 14 month old once or twice a week.

After two years of school I realized that I wasn't sure what I wanted to be, but I did not want to be a teacher. I took time off and worked as a legal secretary for five years.

In Fall 2006, still working full-time as a legal secretary, I went back to school and began designing my own major in Publishing. Ultimately, I would like to get my master's degree in Library Science with a concentration in School Librarianship, combining my two loves BOOKS and CHILDREN.

In Fall 2007, I decided to focus full-time on my studies. In order to supplement my husband's income, I have gone back to babysitting/nannying. I work for two families and may be taking on a third in the near future.

These are my Notes on Nannying.

No comments:

Post a Comment